Tuesday 23 October 2012

Gloucestershire Break ~ Day Two

A report on day two of our break in Gloucestershire with most of October 2nd being spent in either Cheltenham or Gloucester.

Stagecoach C&G 47558 VX57NUU at Racecourse Park & Ride
After agreeing to spend a day and a half (must have been mad!!) in the Gloucester Family History Centre  researching my wife's family history, I negotiated a trip on the Gloucester & Warwickshire Railway between Cheltenham Racecourse and Winchcombe

With some visitors from across the pond riding as well this made the trip an enjoyable experience.

For the rail enthusiasts amongst you, the train was hauled by LMS Class 8F 2-8-0 8274 of 1941 vintage
Stagecoach C&G Enviro 36394 VU11BUA in Cheltenham High Street
Following my treat, I chatted with the man running the railway's bookshop who revealed that a park and ride scheme operated from the racecourse; parking was free and so was the ride if you had a concessionary bus pass (Bonus!)

On parking up we proceeded to the pick up point and I found Stagecoach Cheltenham & Gloucester Optare Solo 47558 VX57NUU awaiting passengers before departure time

The journey to the centre didn't take
South Gloucestershire Volvo B9/Levante FJ60HYV on
National Express duty at Royal Well Bus Station, Cheltenham
too long and we were dropped off in Winchcombe Street.

With my wife opting for some retail therapy I opted for some bus photography in areas close to the town centre

With the need for a change in backdrop for the pictures I decided to seek out the bus station on Royal Well Road

What a pleasant location with trees in abundance and buses passing by or visiting the bus station

Swanbrook Solo V845OOF passes Marchants
Volvo B6LE R512KNJ in Winchcombe Street
Returning to Winchcombe Street I was lucky to photograph buses from two local independents - Swanbrook and Marchants almost side by side

With my wife being 'shopped out' and me satisfied with my haul of bus photos we decided to return to the Park and Ride

We thought we would make a quick visit to Gloucester to sort out my mobile phone which packed up on me earlier in the day - the Cheltenham store was undergoing refurbishment (typical really!)

Two Stagecoach C&G Dennis Tridents pass each other
on route 10 in Eastgate Street, Gloucester 
I only had time for quick pic in Gloucester; which is of two Stagecoach Cheltenham & Gloucester double deckers passing in Eastgate Street next to The Mall Shopping Centre

Numerous other pictures taken on the day will be available soon on my Flickr site

What of the family history research? Well that went very well too! I can highly recommend a visit to the Family History Centre which has friendly people always willing to help

No comments:

Post a Comment