Thursday 7 December 2023

J&M Preservations Visit

A comparatively early start this morning with a visit to J&M Preservations across the border in Suffolk where I was met by a friendly Mason Lee outside the unit.



Inside the less draughty unit were the three buses I had come to see with former Abellio London Alexander Dennis Dart KP02 PVU at the front of the trio. Behind were the two Halton Transport Darts No. 77 PX06 DWD and Myllennium bodied No.40 DK03 TNL.



The first thing to report is that No 77 is to be returned to Stagecoach livery as Halton acquired it from Ensignbus in September 2019. It retains its Stagecoach moquette seating with its previous fleet number of 34818 still displayed inside above the front windscreen. (Photo: J&M Preservations)



No 40 is a long term project with recent work involving the removal of the oil cooler and its hydraulic pipe replaced. An estimate has been sought for the replacement windscreen plus the front corner panel is off for repair.

I experienced runs with both KP02 PVU and DK03 TNL with the latter going 'like the clappers' - certainly very powerful. However, the highlight of my visit was the invitation to drive the former which I quickly accepted! Whilst I didn't drive at breakneck speed I enjoyed it all the same. All journeys were on private roads.

I expected my visit to last around an hour but I spent more than two hours there as their enthusiasm was so infectious! My thanks to Mason Lee for sparing the time to see me and for the driving tuition! I wish them well in getting KP02 PVU to The Big Bus Show at Stonham Barns in August next year.

No comments:

Post a Comment