Monday 23 June 2014

Hop on a Bus

Newly restored Eastern Counties LFL57 557BNG awaits its next duty
Yesterday the East Anglia Transport Museum at Carlton Colville held their annual Hop on a Bus event

The fine weather made for an enjoyable and successful occasion

I made my way there with a bumpy ride on Great Yarmouth Corporation PD2 66 EX6566 and was immediately greeted on arrival by contributor Tim Miller
Southdown Queen Mary BUF426C poses next to the museum's London Country
AEC Regent III KXW234 - my bus on the journey home back to Lowestoft 

After a chin-wag, Tim returned to Beccles whilst I looked around the yard to see what was on offer.

After an extensive (and expensive!) refurbishment, former Eastern Counties ECW bodied Bristol FL6G 557BNG was amongst the buses offering trips out

There were two interesting visitors in the form of Queen Mary 426, BUF426C restored
An interesting visitor was former Citybus Bristol RELL XOI2526
in Southdown colours and Belfast Citybus Alexander (Belfast) bodied Bristol RELL XOI2526

The latter was new in February 1984 and was loaned to Ulsterbus from 29/9/95 to 28/2/96. A year later it received Citybus livery and was withdrawn from service in October 2003. It is now owned by a Suffolk preservationist

The EATM also displayed their recent 
Recently acquired from Viv Carter is ex Ipswich Leyland Olympian C101CHM 
acquisition, former Ipswich Leyland Olympian/ ECW 46 C101CHM

A further surprise was the appearance of Border Bus Alexander Dennis Dart Enviro200 BB14BUS

It was noticeably placed next to Anglianbus Optare Excel 216 W216PRB which was used on two trips to Anglianbus depot in Beccles (see next post)
Strategically placed (?) Anglianbus Excel W216PRB next to Borderbus BB14BUS

Prior to lunch, I took advantage of one of the excursions on offer; something I hadn't been able to do on previous visits

I thought that, as the weather was fine, I would opt for a trip out to Kessingland Beach on the top deck of former Eastern Counties open topper OT5 OCK995K

After a pic at its destination, I decided I
Eastern Counties open top OT5 OCK995K at its Kessingland terminus
would enjoy my return journey on the less drafty lower deck!

On return to the museum, lunch was consumed prior to a visit to Anglianbus Ellough garage in Beccles

I returned in time to take advantage of another trip out; this time to Sparrow's Nest.

This was performed with Colin Apps at the wheel of Julian
Superbly restored Bristol RELL6G RL516 EPW516K at Sparrow's Nest
Patterson's ex
Eastern Counties RELL6G EPW516K

It was lovely to hear that Gardner engine once more and good to meet Colin, who I new by name through the Eastern Transport Collection's Terminus magazine

Upon my return, I had a further walk round prior the museum before my return journey home on London Country AEC Regent III KXW234

An excellent day out where I met old friends and finally put faces to names I had often corresponded with. Great to meet you all 

1 comment: