Sunday 11 May 2014

Suffolk Made & Operated ~ Day One

Eastern Counties Bristol VR NAH135P at Beccles waiting for the off 
Regular contributor Tim Miller attended the Suffolk Made and Operated event at Carlton Colville yesterday and here is his report:

'Today I did as I promised and rode to the museum and back via Lowestoft on three buses!

First up as you may see by the tweet I left Beccles on VR172 NAH135P with, I think, Mr Chilvers at the 

Tim's arrival at the museum was greeted with this view
wheel. Very bumpy ride and I was beginning to think they were all like this as couldn't remember the last time I rode a VR.

Got to the museum and tweeted another pic as I was very happy just to get there and see all the buses.

Next it was VR385 OCK985 driven by Mick Slynn from Ipswich ably assisted by yours truly giving directions (all aboard!! ) to Lowestoft 
Some of the vehicles in use including VR385 second from the left
rail then bus station and back. Better ride on this one smoother and gear change was better (after we worked out how to close the doors lol)

Then it was Mick again straight-away with the Ipswich Atlantean no 6 MRT6P with the return to Beccles with expert direction from the part time conductor and this was a really smooth ride again. It's been years, even decades, since I was on these 
The rear bustle on Ipswich Atlantean 6 MRT6
buses and always liked the Atlanteans.

Said bye to Mick at Beccles - turns out he works with someone I know in Ipswich. I did do a video of the Atlantean pulling away but it won't play, b****r !

Well just wanted to report that I have fulfilled a wish to do some bus riding and hope next time to spend more time there.'

I would like record my thanks to Tim for the report and photo's The tweeted pictures he referred to can be viewed in the twitter feed by scrolling down in the window

For those interested, there is a video on YouTube of NAH135P on the road to the Sparrows Nest whilst attending last years EATM Hop On A Bus event Click here to view it 
Finally, Julian Patterson's Eastern Counties open topper was also on view but I suspect, that due to the inclement weather, the trips out on it were limited.

As OT5 OCK995 is on loan to the museum for the season, I hope to sample a ride during better weather 

1 comment: